Exploring a New Treatment for OCD: How TMS Can Help
Have you heard about obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)? It’s a condition that can be marked by unwelcome, intrusive thoughts as well as certain rituals that may disrupt your daily life. While therapy and medications can help, there’s an innovative treatment called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) that’s worth knowing about. In this article, we’ll talk about how TMS works for OCD and why it’s exciting.
Imagine your brain is like a big puzzle made of tiny pieces called neurons. These neurons talk to each other using electricity. TMS is a fancy name for a treatment that uses magnets to gently stimulate those neurons. It’s like giving your brain a little nudge to help it work better. While the concept of magnetic stimulation has been around since 1980’s, the concept of using this technology to treat OCD and other psychiatric conditions arose in mid 1990’s.
How TMS Helps OCD
OCD can develop due to abnormal or altered communication between different parts of the brain. This can cause the unwanted thoughts and compulsions. TMS targets key brain areas to regulate this communication and provide relief to symptoms of OCD.
Types of TMS for OCD
There are two kinds of TMS that can help with OCD:
- Repetitive TMS (rTMS): This is the most common type that has a narrow target for activation.
- Deep TMS: This one goes a bit deeper into the brain structures directly.
Various studies have shown that both Deep TMS and Traditional rTMS are safe and effective courses of treatment.
TMS for OCD Has a lot of benefits.
Non-invasive: You don’t need any incisions or anesthesia. Just a magnet on your head.
Almost No Side Effects: Some people get a little headache, but that’s usually it.
Made Just for You: TMS can be made to fit exactly what your brain needs. It’s like a tailor-made solution.
Things to Think About
- Different for Everyone: TMS doesn’t work the same for everyone. Some people feel much better, while others only feel a bit better.
- Time and Visits: It takes a few weeks of visiting the treatment center for TMS to work. You’ll need several sessions.
- Not Everywhere: Not all places have TMS. You’ll need to find a specialty clinic that offers it.
- TMS is a new and innovative way to help with OCD. It uses magnets to activate and regulate certain parts of the brain. it’s a promising option for those who haven’t found relief from other treatments. If you or someone you know is thinking about trying TMS, talking to a mental health expert can help you understand if it’s the right fit.
Ready to renew your life?
Learn more about NeuroMod Health’s strategy for igniting hope in your life once more.
Reach out to us today to learn more about TMS therapy or to schedule an appointment